Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Monday, February 15, 2010

Sunshine Coast

Our last full day together, alone. X fulfilled my wish of doing a daytrip to the Sunshine Coast. We drove a full 400km that day, if not more. Having only ever experienced Maleny (cute, on the mountains but too remote for my liking) and Caloundra (felt fake), we spent most of the day at Mooloolaba.

One of the nicest things about being with X, is how we can spend so much time in silence. Companionable silence. I think that was what struck me when we did the first roadtrip to Cairns in the winter of 2006. Having always played the bridging person, feeling the need to fill up pauses with awkward, meaningless babbling... it was with X I learnt to stop talking unnecessarily.

Mooloolaba is coastal and touristy, fairly classy for a Queensland town. Perhaps due to its excellent public transport system, Gold Coast attracts an awful lot of backpackers and other transient residents. Everything is very in-your-face, neon and garish, with a large dash of MSG. Mooloolaba on the other hand, was packed with tasteful cafes, with little quirky boutiques. Much of our time was spent around the esplanade.

We also drove up the Maroochydore to escape from the heat. TD'd raved about the huge mall there, which was surprisingly adequate (the local population is about 300,000).

We had lunch at the Mooloolaba Surf Club, which was very beautifully decorated, with classic simple lines and fibreglass life-sized sculptures of surfers hanging from the ceilings. I had the beer-battered seafood set, which was excellent. I found X's pizza a little hard to chew, but he loved it. And the Iced Coffee was nothing short of amazing. And I don't even like coffee.

X and I took to the easy waves, warm but "Malaysian"-coloured water. I usually never go more than waist-deep at home, with Palm Beach's crazy currents.

Haha.

This car was speeding, with a long trail of torn plastic stuck on the wheel. Kind of like how you get toilet roll stuck on your shoe and you wonder why everyone keeps sniggering.

The drive up north is so much nicer than south. The trees look happier. These remind me of those Salem cigarette ads in the 90s.

0 comments: