Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Monday, March 9, 2009

Anyone know anyone else hiring?

It's almost been here 5 months and I have still not been able to obtain work. I've had to reiterate to many well-meaning friends the same things over and over again and am getting RSI from so much repetition. So here's an FAQ.

1. Are you working yet?
No.

2. How many jobs have you applied for?
About 150 or more. It increases on a daily basis, depending on my level of self-pity that day.

3. Why can't you get a job? You've got the qualifications and experience!
Beats me. They usually reject me on the basis of "no Australian experience". Of course, there's also the minor inconvenience of the economic downturn coinciding with my arrival.

4. Why don't you get a part-time job?
This is a long one. You can't just get part time jobs. You have to have specific qualifications and experience. Especially with Gold Coast. Below is a non exhaustive list of certifications matched to the commonly suggested positions.
a) Waitress - RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol)
b) Nanny - Blue Card (to indicate you're not a paedophile or something)
c) Administrative positions - though not 100% necessary, they prefer people with Certificate III
d) Retail - Relevant local experience

5. Why don't you just get the certifications then?
Hello. I am poor okay (which is why you should *cough* feel compelled to peruse my ads!). Unlike all the other Asian chicks who are well-funded by rich mat sallehs, mine's very much working class.

6. What about Mc Donald's?
Fast food chains in Australia generally do not hire adults. Reason being, they will be legally compelled to pay us higher (albeit minimum) wages. Whyever would they do that with an abundance of snotty, rude little teens to run the show? It is unfortunate how my youthful looks are unable to reap me any benefits in this one.

7. Move to a different state?
I've already started applying. Unfortunately most employers won't even consider my applications as my current mailing address is in Gold Coast. Even though I did mention relocating won't be an issue though it will be because I will miss X to bits and cry myself to sleep every night.

8. Ask around?
I have been endlessly nagging everyone I know (and hardly know) on this issue. Unfortunately, some of the people I am closest to fail to realise how this is really stressing me out. However, I discovered I have about 50 odd readers who are currently in Australia. Is anyone willing and able to help?

9. Go back to Malaysia?
This will be like, a last, last, last resort. I used to work for one of the highest paying companies there and was deeply unhappy with the working culture. Unfortunately, I had little choice then - if I'd moved on to somewhere smaller, I'd be taking a pay cut of 40% or more.

10. What are your options?
I don't know. At the moment, X is sub-contracting for a massage centre and earns enough to keep us sheltered and fed. I still have enough savings to last a few more months. I'm not eligible for welfare for another 1.5 years. But it's awful living so frugally. I mean, I'm not even that materialistic, but I've spent the last couple of years before this living very happily and comfortably without having to give much thought to money. If you've read my old entries, you've probably noticed my laissez-faire attitude towards personal finances. I've got a few close friends in Singapore who are urging me to give the republic a shot.

I'm giving it some thought.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just sorfed into the site and find it interesting.

Am a fellow Malaysian used to live in Australia but have relocated myself to UK and left Aussie for good after long 7 years.

Looking for a job at this current economic situation certainly proove difficult especially with the location tagged as 'Gold Coast'. Unless you're into hospitality or things associated, I guess business works. If an accountant or finance, Gold Coast is not a right place but maybe you can try Brizzie. I personally lived in Melbourne during my Australian tenure but travelled alot around.

You can try searching for part time jobs in chinese restaurants, take-aways or maybe those shop assistance job. This will normally NOT require anything and people should still hire. The pay might be a little short compare to those real restaurants but I guess it pays bill. Else if you don't mind, places like Subway or Woolworth and Coles do hire and night fillers at supermarket earn heaps!! I think about $27 per hour!

Good luck on job hunting!

Anonymous said...

Yea Jan. Patrick's rite about the supermarkets. Howz vacancies at Harbourtown? Have u tried that?

Anyway, my friend replied and she just mentioned will look out lor. Hope it'll be a positive response.

Don't give up! You'll reach there soon! *hugs*

Jan Banks said...

patrick: thank you for your thoughtful comment. i am considering spending a month in melbourne to hunt around for work. as for woolworths, i've already been rejected. subway only hires juniors. since you've spent several years in aussie, would you happen to know anyone hiring?

juvan: thanks girl! no... i went to harbourtown the week before and there isn't anyone hiring. plus it's 40 minutes away from home. :P

Anonymous said...

G'day Jen!

I am not sure what field you're in and what type of job you're doing or have experience with. Or what type of job you are looking for. Maybe you can enlighten me with that?

I'll try to check with some friends back in Melbourne for you once I got your job scope and maybe hook you up with someone back there to help you with.

Considering the job market right now, it's really hard to find a job. I've got friends who has been looking for a job like almost or more than a year now and still sit at home doing nothing. But I am quite sure there is something available somewhere.

pathws@yahoo.com <-- feel free to msn me or email me with the details so I can find some contacts around for you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry.. wrong email. pathws@hotmail.com <-- this is the correct one.

Anonymous said...

I think they are just excuses. Get smtg part time even though the pay is low seems you're already 5 months jobless. 5 months! That's almost half a year! It's impossible not to get a part time job here in Aus.

Jan Banks said...

GezNat: i wanted to write you a lengthy reply then decided you would assume i'm making excuses anyway as you've already formed your impression of me. nevermind.

Swiftlet said...

Have you tried informational interviews? I haven't personally done those but hear that it's a good way to network and up your chances in landing interviews. Good luck with the job search!

From an old friend,
Yan(bin)

Jan Banks said...

yan: haha, after all the hunting, i'll be starting work on monday. not exactly what i was hoping for, but it'll do for now. :D thanks! it's really awesome to hear from you.