Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Transport woes

I am doomed.

Last week, I failed my driving test. Gold Coast is a very spread out city and it's pretty impossible to move around without a vehicle. Worse still I interviewed with a very nice firm about 20 minutes away from home, which is INACCESSIBLE by public transport.

The only other alternative appears to be taking a bus to the train station, taking the train to the workplace suburb, then walking for 45 minutes to the office. (Cabs here cost a bomb. A big one)

I simply cannot walk that long in corporate wear and heels, lugging a laptop.

So on Monday, I booked for a driving lesson on Thursday. The instructor then called back at 9pm, asking to further postpone the lesson. I asked him politely if this was going to be a common occurrence. He very rudely said, "This is the first time, isn't it?" I agreed but pointed out that even Thursday was such a delay it was going to thwart my plans to get my licence by late January/ early February.

"Well, take it or leave it."

I left it, quite traumatised by the rude little turd.

So then this morning I call in to book lessons with other driving schools. A referred one did not ring back, so I chose another.

My new lessons were booked for the 28th and 29th of January. The guy apologetically told me that they were pretty busy and that was the earliest he could slot me in.

I then tried booking a test. The earliest I could get in was the 17th of February!

Now Gold Coast has a couple of test centres/ transport department branches. As per the nice man from the driving school, the ease in passing is as follows, in descending order of difficulty:

Southport (X says it's because that's where all the Asian people go. Asian drivers are synonymous with being insane)
Currumbin Creek (This is where I failed my test. The guy was insanely strict. And senile)
Bermuda Street, Helensvale and Logan (Pretty good with their passing rates)

So now, facing the possibility of employment, I am extremely worried. What on earth do I tell my potential employers?

Not to mention, how am I going to get to work?

0 comments: