Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Monday, December 8, 2008

I may not like the sandwich, but I sure ♥ the band

I have fallen in love with The Submarines. Most of my favourite artistes (Stars, Sigur Ros, Snow Patrol, Sia), coincidentally or not, fall within the Playlist S. My music is simply too varied for me actually make proper playlists, so I dump everything into alphabetised folders.

The story about this band is teeth-achingly cute. Girl (look how cute and wholesome and Swedish she looks!) meets boy (looks how dopey and devoted he looks!); they fall in ♥ and later break up. They soon find out the separation had inspired a whole host of songs of heartache about each other. They eventually reconcile, form The Submarines and happily enough, get married. I’m the biggest nuptial cynic around, but I hope they stay together forever and ever. And ever.

The creative differences between their debut album Declare A New State and their sophomore album Honeysuckle Weeks are noticeable after a couple of spins. The former is more subdued and tender, especially This Conversation, which brings to surface memories of previous heartache. You, Me and the Bourgeoisie was derived from the latter and used in the new iPod 3G commercial. On a whole, the lyrics are more assertive.

Plastic bottles, imported water
Cars we drive wherever we want to
Clothes we buy, it's sweatshop labor
Drugs from corporate enablers
We're not living the good life
Unless we're fighting the good fight
You and me just trying to get it right

If you like folksy, poppy, but not too mainstream stuff, this is for you. I’m pretty picky with music and find that most albums have one or two decent songs with the rest being filler crap. With this couple, I have yet to come across a piece that isn’t at least above average. I can hardly wait for their next album.

0 comments: