Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Have wheels, get licence

While I was working in Malaysia, cab fares were reimbursed as part of our privileges. I didn't drive because no one trusted me with their vehicles, in spite of my licence (obtained through legitimate means - don't make any assumptions!). I also had other means of transport such as the light rail transport/ monorail (overcrowded and full of stinky people with B.O.) and the bus (cheap but takes forever).

All these I took for granted until I came here. Public transport is costly - distances between places are fairly large. The buses that run along the Gold Coast Highway are efficient and the drivers often (though not always) friendly and patient, as the system can be a bit confusing at first. I haven't a clue what cab fares cost, but I'm sure it's a heck lot more than what I'm accustomed to.

So we got me a car.

My dream cars include the Toyota Vios (older model - new model is hideous) and the current Honda Civic (I also like the Porsche Boxster and BMW 3 series, but let's get realistic here). So it's only natural I was a little hesitant with this Honda Prelude Coupe: Oh, I guess it's best that I make all the mistakes with a crappy car.

As it turns out, I've fallen in love with the 4 wheel steering, the electric sunroof, the ease with which it handles. The one and only complaint I do have is the failed air conditioning. In the current summer climate, where hair plasters to scalp and ice cream melts within seconds, my feeling is akin to a turkey, slow roasted in an oven.

So far, in my few solo expeditions, I have yet to kill/ maim anyone/ any marsupials. No one has given me the single finger salute/ honked at me. X actually thinks I drive okay - though occasionally, he pulls the clutch on me.
However, the problem is that I can't reverse parallel park. This, is not a practical skill simply because I would rather park far, far away and walk, than execute a complicated manoeuvre exacerbated by my lack of height.

Sadly, it's something I'll have to perform for my driving test. Malaysia does not have a reciprocatory agreement on transferable licences (small wonder since KL drivers are mostly insane). The tests here are a lot more stringent and I'm pretty sure the officers won't be bought off for MYR200, the standard bribe for JPJ officers in 2004.

My three month grace period will be up soon. I have about two weeks to complete the tests, failing which I'll be unable to drive. Fingers crossed!

3 comments:

Mick said...

Nice ride you got there. Maybe old but I am sure it's fun to drive. Coupes are pretty cool on the road even if they are the older models. :)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you!

Rgds,
Mick

Anonymous said...

Your first car! Congrats! :)

Jan Banks said...

mick: hey hey! thanks. merry belated christmas to you too! and happy new year... been away from the comp for a while...

jenny: :D my driving test is next tuesday!