Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Suggestions to dying happy

Here's my two cents on the three greatest regrets in life, as gathered by common census.

a) Getting married to the wrong person
I'm only 23, but I can already see the sheen of desperation in my peers' eyes. See, most Asian girls (especially) have a use-by date. Depending on the specific culture, it ranges from 23-35 years of age. Any older than that, there must be something wrong with you. At least that's how you'll be judged here.

(I'm lucky though. Mummy has always advocated the importance of being independent, married or otherwise.)

So I watch a lot of single friends bemoan their status and immediately leap into a relationship with anyone who shows the remotest interest. Then half a year later, they declare they're getting married. Nevermind their brief courting only consisted of two-hour best-behaviour dinners after work and on weekends (sometimes a movie is thrown in).

I don't know, they might have a happy ending. But I just believe it's not realistic to walk down the aisle without having at least spent a month in close proximity with the other party. Like cohabitation or at least a really long holiday. An example would be how X and I have done both several times and concluded: We are extremely compatible. He cooks, cleans and chauffeurs me around; I eat, litter and am banned from steering wheels of any kind.

b) Not keeping in touch with friends
We're all so busy with our own lives that friendships are often neglected. So most of us end up with a somewhat inbred social circle like my insecure ex-colleagues. Oh alright when I say we, I don't actually mean me. My friends are only second to God and family (which X is part of). I love my friends (group hug!). And they're the best anyone will ever find. Totally irreplaceable.

I suppose many may not have the luxury of time, what with work and familial commitments. That was my situation too, so Facebook is godsent (if company policy denies you access to MSN and Facebook, tough luck), what more now with my shifting to another continent. It's been amazing catching up with people I haven't seen (as far back as 1997!) during all the farewells thrown. It's just so rewarding (for lack of a better word) to see how everyone has moved on and is making the best of their lives.

c) Not travelling enough
When I was 18 and temping for an insurance agent as his PA, he told me: Travel all you can before you settle down. I really regret not doing so.

That piece of advice stuck and I've made it a point to go on trips every couple of months. I haven't been to many countries, but I'm thorough with each one I go to. I'm planning to do a partial Europe tour mid 2010 (I won't qualify for the Eurail Youth pass once I hit 26). Di, K and I think it's best to cover Italy, Spain and France (maybe throw in Portugal too) first.

Notice how none of the regrets are Not working hard enough/ Not having enough (insert unnecessary, overpriced luxury items)/ Not having a fat bank account?/ Not getting that promotion?

What are we all working so hard for?

0 comments: