Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Vanity is tiresome

With my face starting to resemble the surface of Mars, and my mother's constant nagging threats of permanent disfiguration, I went over to Assunta Hospital to see the infamous Dr Nathan.

It was pretty chaotic. Between constant interruptions from an army of assistants/ nurses and another patient still going through some procedure, he declared I would need Accutane.

Having heard all the horror stories of the retinoid, I hesitated. Plus I didn't think my skin was that bad. I'd only expected a couple of cortisone jabs! However, he didn't have time for such pauses and soon I was ushered out with a long prescription.

Oh well.

So here I am, on my third day. My lips are dry, my tongue is parched. My vision is slightly blurry. I'm terrified if I sneeze, my nose will turn into a faucet of blood. And of course, I look like crap - I'm not allowed to wear make up. My skin is super dry and I'm strangely tempted to hack off my long hair.

It's not terribly restrictive, I suppose. But I've never been one for rules. This is my regime for the week.

Morning
Wash face with water only. Dab on Eryderm 2% all over face.

Afternoon
Wash face with water only. Dab on Eryderm 2% all over face.

Take 2 tablets of Suprim 480.

Night
Wash face with water only. Dab on Eryderm 2% all over face. Rinse it off, then apply benzoyl peroxide moisturiser.

Take 2 tablets of Suprim 480 and one capsule of Acnotin 20 (generic form of Accutane).

I'm supposed to remain on treatment for six months. Will probably need an advance prescription from him when I leave in October. I'm not even sure if I can keep it up. No make up for six months! I sure hope X won't dump me it'll be worth it.

2 comments:

nabilak said...

hey.. oh wow.. i just only saw your post. ....all those medicines did wonders to my skin. i went to see dr nathan too...and yes he gave me similar medicines..for seven months. after that he stopped my dosage. slowly blemishes starts coming back though.....so i from time to time visits him.

how is your skin now???

Jan Banks said...

Oh wow, this was ages ago... I moved to Aus after completing only 2 months of the regime. Skin was okay. Broke out again after I started on birth control. Now on Doxycycline with moderate success. The GP who looked at my skin said Accutane was for severe acne and mine wasn't bad enough. Doing skin needling for scarring at the moment. No signs of improvement yet.