Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Monday, September 8, 2008

Carnival fun

It's been a busy weekend. We had the church carnival going on and our lifegroup was put in charge of a games stall. Friday night, we had dinner and headed to the venue at Bukit Jalil Golf and Country Resort to set up shop. We tried out the carrom-like game and strung up the sign. We blew up balloons. Adrian was chagrined by our configuration and forbade us to mix the "long ones and round ones together".


I got the munchies from all the huffing and puffing so we headed to Mc D's for supper before calling it a night. For Saturday, I was due for the afternoon shift. Owing to the ridiculous jams and constant rain, JL and I got there late, at about 3.30pm. JK kindly let us off to join in the bazaar, in spite of having taken charge of the event since 7.30am. I wouldn't say we contributed much labour.

Our stall Sliders - You get points for accuracy, which may be redeemed for gifts



The stalls were organized neatly in types - food, games, retail etc. There were some bigwigs too - KFC, Pizza Hut... we even got bags from DiGi! JL and I walked around in the persistent drizzle, darting from stall to stall. Relatively rich with MYR180 worth of (donated) coupon vouchers, I was impulsive with my purchases. I bought an enormous DIY ship model-building kit for X, only to remember how the Australian customs would probably blacklist me (wood products are prohibited). I got Mum a pair of dangly blue crystal earrings. JL and I also got ourselves some tops from the FOS counter, all 50% off since it was almost closing time.

There was a dunking booth too!



Hungry from all the retail, we got some sweet fizzy fruit punches, cupcakes from D'lish and sushi from Jusco. JL and I split another book of coupons - she, to get more sushi and I, to visit the Animal Tent.

More cute than tasty. JK's ones are way better.



The animals looked reasonably happy. The cages were clean and they all looked well cared for. The handlers were clearly attached to them. It was pretty cool. I'm a sucker for all things fuzzy, so this guy was my favourite.


South African Coati - makes cute squeaky noises and sniffs fingers with its piggish snout


Marmoset - world's smallest primate


Fennec foxes - looked a bit melancholic


There were some reptiles too. I petted a python curled around its handler on my way in. It did cross my mind, how strange that snakes should be around at a church carnival.


Serene meditative pythons


South African Bullfrog - very Jabba the Hut


The extremely multicoloured Leopard Gecko



We left happily at 5.15pm and headed for DL's place to congregate for dinner. Having read all about Al's fascination with rice paper rolls, I ordered some at O' Ngoc in Solaris. The palatability of Vietnamese food is heavily dependent on the freshness of the ingredients, which in this case was quit frankly lacking. We prefer Vietnam Kitchen's slightly Malaysian-ised fare.

I slept 14 hours into the next day.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That balloon trick is always inevitable, especially when there are different shapes. LOL