Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Review: Ying Ker Lou

We were meeting my brother and his family at The Curve, but didn't quite share the same craving for Dome as my sister-in-law. In an attempt to further assert his heritage, my father suggested Ying Ker Lou.



I'm of Hakka ancestry, but have never quite managed anything beyond choo-ma-kai?; for the unenlightened, this equates to What's up?. However my ex-employer once exclaimed randomly, "You are Hakka, yes?" My amazement was quadrupled by the fact that he's from Finland.

But I digress. The restaurant was packed. We were forced to dine alfresco in spite of the humidity. The food took forever to arrive and we dove in like starving savages (hence the half gobbled photos).

First dish was Prawn Omelette. I didn't bother to take down the official names as they were translated literally from Chinese. I remember this one being something along the lines of Prawn Egg. This was pretty yummy - the prawns were quite juicy and fresh and thankfully de-veined. Needed some salt though.


Next came Long Beans and Capsicum with Lean Pork (Siew Yoke, sans fatty bits). I harbour a personal dislike towards Siew Yoke, so it wasn't quite up my alley. But my dad adores the dish.


Then came the final dish - Free-range Chicken in Chinese Wine. It was really good. I'm pretty used to your average genetically modified-mass produced poultry, so the skinny, lean meat was a surprise.



The bill came up to MYR94, inclusive of drinks and steamed rice. The portions are quite tiny - I would suggest ordering one dish per person. It's good healthy food, but give me MSG anytime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not too expensive, considering how many people were eating. Chor ma kai though, means what u doing? :p

Jan Banks said...

really? but the portions were tiny! you would have finished everything with ease! and then gone for a mc d's sundae after. hehe.