Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Food talk - hard to digest

We were sitting at a Chinese restaurant. My seating wasn't central; the oversized table had left an awkward expanse of space between us, requiring me to crane my head over to catch bits of the conversation over the din of the restaurant.

They were talking about food.

For some strange reason, I perceive people whose conversational repetoire revolve around food as irksome. You'll find me very agreeable in general. There's some weird ingrained mummy-instinct that has me feigning being patient and generally supportive of most ventures. Yet there are certain comparative trivialities that completely put me off. I'm not talking about the common crimes against humanities or the seven deadly sins - just minor things like faux Western accents, relatives who make unnecessary comments on your appearance and well, talk about food (not to be mistaken for recommendations for dining out).

There's just something I find incredibly boring about talking about food. I mean, eating it is great! I have 24 entries on food on this blog and like an annoying Japanese tourist, tend to insist on photographing dishes before my fellow diners are permitted to dig in. Yet when people sit around talking about what they had for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, supper and what they're going to have next whilst still masticating their current meal, my mind drifts off.

Perhaps due to the Gold Coast's limited culinary delights, I find it almost an exclusively Malaysian thing to keep talking about food. I still remember those boring audit days, when I would be stuck in large food-inclined teams. Apart from gossiping about everyone else in the office, Food was the topic du jour. Like every-jour. Every friggin' jour.

During these lengthy discussions on whether we were to have mamak or chicken hor fun or chap fan for lunch and if we should head back to office so we can have nasi lemak for dinner, I would hold my silence and quietly count the days down on my Excel spreadsheet as to when the assignment would finally be over. And pray that the next team would be less food-sy.

And then there are the dieters. My mother once had a friend who was kind, friendly, helpful and a genuinely good friend to her. Unfortunately, she also harboured two extremely grating habits - her penchant for mundane monologues and the fact that the monologues often centred on what she and all her fellow diners had for every single meal, how they felt about it and she felt they felt about it. Listening to her, you would have expected her to weigh 300lbs, but no, Aunty W was as slim as a toothpick and rarely ever finished a meal, preferring instead to pick at her salads whilst eyeing everyone else's dishes (with of course, a running commentary).

Let's not even get started on people who talk about sleep.


Photo credits

3 comments:

k0k s3n w4i said...

hey, stop discriminating against us somniloquists! oh wait... you're talking about people who talks about sleep when they are awake! my bad, my bad.

the food talk is worse when ur with a bunch of dudes. a colleague would even describe in detail what he would cook for himself during the weekend in his hostel room when most of us would be away, back in our hometowns.

"i'll buy some mutton, some herbs... i'll make some damn nice mutton curry. i'll buy some garlic naan to go with it, and some cold beer... i'll fry some sausages too mmm mmm."

Jan Banks said...

Lol. It's the whole talking about pedestrian stuff when you have nothing else to talk about culture I can't stand. I mean, why say anything if you have nothing to say? Silence is golden!

Hey btw, do you know a Lum Kah Yeen? I think he might be in your batch at the Manipal Uni.

k0k s3n w4i said...

Jan Banks: silence is also awkward and uncomfortable. it's only when i'm with people i know intimately (like the gf, for example) that i'm ok with just enjoying our proximity.

i'm one of those people who's guilty of trying fill those awkward silent moments - but i tend to talk about movies and sociopolitical stuff more.

kah yeen's friend pool overlaps mine considerably on facebook, but no - he's not a batchmate of mine (likely either one above or one below).