Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Friends, feng shui, Thai food and a hyperactive hamster-esque puppy

X and I had a hectic Saturday. His friend, Roselene is leaving for Canberra in a couple of months. So we met up for a farewell of sorts. I had my doubts before heading there - Roselene is a practising and well-established feng shui master, something my conservative Christian background finds hard to accept. People in Gold Coast (not to mention Sunshine Coast) are deeply into New Age-y things like clairvoyance, psychic powers, telekinesis etc. It's hard for me to take them seriously, but I've learnt to respect their beliefs and nod along.

Thankfully, her unit was tastefully minimalistic and lacked the stereotypical copper frog and money tree ornaments. All in all, she turned out to be a very lovely lady and I was sorry we wouldn't be seeing her anymore. Well, not for a while anyway.

We then headed to Broadbeach to meet the ever ambivalent couple, LL and RJ for dinner. LL had hoped to dine at Surfer's Paradise but with Schoolies Week on, we decided against it.

Incidentally, here are some lesser known terms, as explained by a Schoolie to X:

Foolies - Underaged schoolgoing who try to gatecrash Schoolies
Schoolies - Kids who have just finished high school
Toolies - Slightly older crashers
Groolies - Gatecrashers with a midlife crisis

We ended up at Boonchu Thai Food, which came highly recommended. I found it okay, but actually prefer Jitlada nearby Palm Beach.

My Chicken Tom Yam. They used breast meat (big no-no) and the Tom Yam soup could hardly be classified as spicy. LL's adorable, hyperactive terrier, Pearly ended sharing the meat.



X's Panang Curry Chicken was very tasty though. The lemongrass added fragrance to the spices.

LL's Chicken Clear Soup Noodle was a little bland for my liking.

RJ's Boonchu Chicken Rice, also the restaurant's signature dish, was very savoury.

We took a brief walk by the beach and ended things after drinks at Starbucks. I am relieved to report that the Green Tea Frappacino in Gold Coast is identical to the one in KL. And significantly cheaper too, at AUD5.30.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a food blog! You've turned good literature into a food blog!!

You have explaining to do.

Anonymous said...

I think the findings of good food in a place that is scarce of good food results in a good literature blog turning into a food blog...certainly not the first conversion Ive seen :p The phase passes by though XD

If I didnt know it was breast meat, I would say that chicken tomyam actually looks good...

Jan Banks said...

people, forgive me. my social life is lacking. my pocket is empty. my boyfriend is obsessed about completing his presentation (hence hogging the computer). T_T