Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Baby steps to learning routes

Last week, I decided to spend a day alone at Surfer's Paradise. I hadn't been there in a year and X was too busy juggling studies and work and assignments to take me there; I got on the bus instead.

As usual (I tend to get lost. A lot), I hopped onto the wrong bus which was headed to Pacific Fair instead. The driver patiently explained the intricacies of switching buses - something I've never had to do in KL, land of cheap cabs - whilst I nodded, feigning wisdom.

I hopped off at the mall to give X a kiss and popped back on to a connecting bus. It stopped at Broadbeach Mall. Having no idea how far it was from Surfer's (they all look the same!), I alighted and wandered about the decrepit place.

As I exited into the hot midday sun, I suddenly realised the Q1 seemed awfully far away.

The world's tallest residential tower. You have to pay some ridiculous sum of money to enter if you're not a resident.

I covered about 4km in the next hour on foot.

This may not mean much to most people, but I don't exercise. At all. I spend my days doing things that require as little caloric expenditure as possible.

Surprisingly, the walk was pleasant. The wind almost ripped my tote off my shoulder though. I clutched that and the hem of my miniskirt protectively for most of the hour. I did that too in Malaysia, but that was to avoid the perverse labourers (who would wolf whistle and leer at anything female) from looking up my skirt.

But here, it was peaceful. Quiet. A nice suburb where the odd cyclist would pass me by. An art gallery worker smiled at me. A car patiently waited for me to cross the road (as opposed to speeding up to run me over).

It was a beautiful day - though I did get leg cramps after.

0 comments: