Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My very vanilla weekend

Last Sunday, I woke up with a start. The radio clock's red digits glowed 4:16. I turned to X. The force of my stare woke him up.

"What?"

"Are we still going to see the sunrise?"

We threw on yesterday's clothes and hurriedly crossed the highway to the beach, which is about a 5 minute walk away.

The thing about Queensland is, it's bright by 4am or so. So while the sun hadn't popped its head over the horizon, the sky was lit up enough for one to read the fine print on Chinese slimming products quite comfortably.

(I am so bad with similes, I know.)



After that, we went to the Sunday markets at Tweed Heads. I'd been to another weekend market nearby the Twin Towns before and thus had lowered my expectations of this one accordingly. To my delight, it turned out to be the largest yard sale ever. There were at least 60-70 stalls set up on a grassy field, selling produce, used clothes, toys and books, as well as other preloved (Jenny: Preloved now ready to be re-loved!) goods.

I loved it.



There is a disproportionate amount of old people at the markets.


X and I met up with his friend, LG and Nuk, as well as their newborn daughter. Pan Asian kids are awfully adorable (as I'm regularly reminded by friends determined to have X and I reproduce), as you can tell from the picture.

Future heartbreaker (everybody say "Awwwwwww")

X got some bananas and pumpkin while I picked up Down Under by Bill Bryson and Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre for a song. I am an avid (though picky) reader; with the amount of free time on hand, I devour words voraciously at the average speed of 400 pages in 2 days. In fact, I've finished the former already. I liked A Short History of Nearly Everything and The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid a lot better. Bryson rambles an awful lot in this one. Nonetheless, I managed to get X to sing his hilariously mangled version of Waltzing Matilda.

Forgetting that spoons stir hot liquids much better
The swagman immersed his tool in his tea
And he sighed as he spied his willy boiling
Now I can’t bugger you, so will you bugger me?


We had lunch at the Palm Beach Surf Club, which turned out to be a disappointing affair, unanimously agreed. My steak and accompanying vegetables were dry and the foccacias ordered by the rest were stale. It was quite sad as X and I had our first date in Australia here back in 2006, when the roasts were cheap and juicy (Roast Night has moved from Thursday to Monday). Management problems, apparently. Even my vodka tasted strange.

It was pleasantly spent afternoon. We returned home contented to catch up on some sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pan Asian kids ARE!! Look at my cousin nephew!! http://minwye.com/blog/2008/10/01/1-year-old/

Are you developing a housewife habit of going to markets every weekend? LoL...btw, Im not exactly sure how I bumped into Jenny's blog, it might have been through facebook blog networks. I didnt even know you guys were friends o.O Its such a small world..and Im just a random reader of their blog :p

Anonymous said...

Our friendship is rekindled (or reloved!) once again, for I am an avid reader of Bill Bryson as well! Everything he writes just makes me laugh so much. I know he's had some bashing for lack of technical accuracy, or lack of motivation (like for not climbing the hill in A Walk In The Woods), but his books make wonderful humorous reading!

Oh my god...look at the kid's eyes!! They're gorgeous! More so than Hayden's eyes, and that's really saying something :p

I'm just a random reader of his blog too. :p

xx
Jen

Jan Banks said...

lol. these comments sound almost defensive! i'm happy everyone knows each other. next time jenny, when you and ian and hayden come over, we can all hang out.

min wye: i have no social life here! and retail outlets here are rather limited. plus i still haven't found a job hence the housewifedom. :'(

jenny: i haven't read a walk in the woods yet! we'll just have to wait til i find it at another yard sale. and hayden's eyes are soooooooooo cute too! i found the ball from ikea here for about $5.95. lol.