Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Love is in the air... and etc clichés

Valentine's Day. The more logical half of my brain tells me the pretty pink and red themed cookies, teddies, heart-shaped chocolates and other tacky trinkets are just unnecessary means of emptying one's pockets. The other hemisphere demands for such very items to be presented as a symbol of undying devotion, now!

Fortunately, X knew logic never won a woman's heart.


I have a confession. I've never actually celebrated Valentine's before. Well, of course we've had the quintessential single-girls-being-tough-who-needs-love outing. And of course I've had nice boys take me out for dinner and maybe even get me a little chocolate. But never has any of my previous relationships coincided with the celebration.

Correction - never has any of my previous partners been physically in the same continent during the day.

So you can imagine, it was very nice indeed to actually be able to have a hand to hold for once. Yes, the restaurants were crowded and overpriced and yes, we had to park so far away I wound up walking around barefoot with my stilettos in my bag. And yes, I probably stepped on something gross along the way.


My overpriced King Prawn Salad. The portion was the size of X's fist (which isn't very big), but the avocados completely filled me up. Excellent flavour though.



dsc01907



X's overpriced Thai Beef Salad. It was okay, but the bean sprouts were a weird touch. If you're wondering if we're on diet, it's only so we had room for overpriced bruschetta before and gelati later.


We had a really nice day. But next year, we're doing it a day before to avoid the crowds.

4 comments:

Charles Edward Frith said...

I was given a lollypop with I love you, a nice video, and a heart shaped balloon.

I'm struggling with your line about isn't if funny we go away and look for similarities. Not sure why, maybe there's more depth to it.

Jan Banks said...

it sounds like you had a good one too! umm... that line relates to the fact i've recently moved to australia and all those little things (like cheap fried noodles, air conditioning everywhere, a neverending supply of friends to hang out with) i took for granted back in malaysia, i *really* miss them.

- D. said...

Unfortunately for me, K is ALL about the logic. Also, I have never celebrated V-Day either. We're never on the same continent for that. Wait, I think we were...once...5 years ago...did I mention K's all about the logic?
*long-suffering sigh*
Will you please talk to my boyfriend for me?

Jan Banks said...

di, nevermind. you're getting married! just think about it, by then you'll have heaps of time to unsubtly remind him about it beforehand!

p/s: failed my driving test. again. :'(