Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Sunday, July 27, 2008

A different shape

I'm 23. Or 23.5 to be precise. Has my life turned out the way I thought it would? I'd have to say, pretty much, yes. I found a guy I think is right for me. I love him, I feel home. I'm immigrating, something I'd always known I would do in my heart of hearts. Malaysia never felt right. I'm still friends with many of my classmates from primary and high school, college and kindergarten. I have a healthy social life. I'm still childless, unmarried (I've vowed to stay single as long as possible, if not forever). I'm wearing a suit. I'm professionally qualified.

Things are going well for me. Thank God.

But I wonder sometimes, what if things had turned out differently? What if I had met someone else? To be purely honest, at the risk of sounding like a spineless bimbo, many of my decisions were made with my boyfriend in consideration. He drew the adventurous side of me out. Things I'd dreamt of doing, but never had to guts to just go for it, he pushed me to do. Like diving, backpacking, camping, sleeping in the car, wearing a bikini even. An offspring of overprotective parents, I have never broken a bone and never been hospitalised. My childhood rebellion consisted of multiple piercings and wearing black bras under the flimsy white cotton (recently classified as "sexy" by another one of our retarded politicians) school uniforms. This later changed to not wearing bras in college, dating everyone wrong for me etc. But I never really crossed the line. Sad to say, without him, I might developed into the stereotypical submissive, indoor-sy Asian girl.

I'm kind of glad I didn't.

0 comments: