Ps. 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me.
RSS

Monday, August 2, 2010

One more night

Après-dinaire at the best-serviced Australian Chinese restaurant ever, we headed out. Walking around the charming little NSW town of Moree, buzzed up from the caffeine of endless jasmine tea refills. My right eye still feeling somewhat raped from a bug that had decided to kamikaze in there earlier.

Driving out further west to find a spot away from the lights. The moon had not risen, the roads unlit. KG pointed out some animals along the way. The roadkill count was fairly alarming and after a while, decapitated roos and squashed foxes only blended into the scenery.


A live one (for once)!


We eventually found a little turn off which led to a dirt road. Parked the car, spread the mats, stepped into the 11C air. I sat down, a large towel wrapped around me. He felt for my knees and leaned against them, our faces tilted toward the starry night. The Milky Way not quite conspicuous, but the pinpoints of light scattered across the sky. A faint Moree-an glow coming from the right.

"See the Southern cross?"

"Which one?"

He pointed to a trapezium composed of 5 stars and began to explain.

We sat there for an indeterminate amount of time. I could smell him, in the crisp cool air. The familiarity of the scent, comforting. I counted 9 shooting stars, each one more unexpected and ephemeral than the next.

As we turned to leave, the moon began to rise.

0 comments: